Castello di Potentino
Wine Sense Wine WSET Level 1 Course With Emily O'Hare
Starts on: Monday, October 1, 2018
Ends on: Saturday, October 6, 2018
Price: Starting from - based on available rooms and number of guests, fill out the form for total price.
This is a five-day residential course held in a beautifully restored medieval Tuscan castle at Castello di Potentino.
Learn the essentials about wine with a special focus on the wines of Italy, following the globally recognised WSET approach. Eat fabulous food prepared by one of the UK’s top chefs from the River Café and Michelin starred local chef Roberto Rossi.
Participate in morning food and wine pairing workshops and afternoon Masterclasses in pasta, risotto and Tuscan pork butchery.
Enjoy optional daily yoga classes and a Sunday morning hike amongst ancient olive groves looking across to Monte Amiata, the Etruscan’s Mount Olympus.
The course will be led by Decanter Italian wine writer and VIA Italian Wine Ambassador, Emily O’Hare – previously Head Sommelier and Wine Buyer at London’s The River Café.
• Full board including all wines and lodging at the castle for four nights
• Daily morning Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga practice • All wine sessions and food workshops, visits and tastings outside of the castle.
• WSET Level 1 course material. Tastings include over 20 wines from around the world including Champagne, Bordeaux and Burgundy, with the added emphasis on the wines of Italy.
• Afternoon visit to nearby town, Montalcino and evening tasting and dinner at a famous Brunello estate.
• Afternoon spa trip to the ancient therapeutic baths at Bagno Vignoni
• Tuscan Butchery class and courtyard BBQ with Tuscan wines
• Pasta and Risotto Masterclass with Il Silene’s Roberto Rossi
• Airport transfers from and to Pisa Airport.
Thursday – Day 1
Transfer from Pisa Airport to Potentino Welcome aperitivo, Wine tasting with Charlotte Horton, Castello di Potentino’s winemaker and co-owner followed by four course meal in the castle’s dining room.
Friday – Day 2
Morning yoga class. Breakfast, Course begins “Introduction to Wine, Types and Styles and the Principal Grape Varieties” Lunch and trip to the town of Montalcino, Free time for shopping, gelato and/or a glass of Brunello! Wine tasting and dinner at a famous Brunello estate.
Saturday – Day 3
Morning Yoga and the course continues with a food and wine workshop: “The Principles of Food and Wine Matching and the Characteristics of the Noble Grape V arieties.” Lunch and a late afternoon visit to the thermal baths of Bagno Vignoni, an ancient village in the Val d’Orcia natural park well known for its therapeutic hot springs. Evening in the courtyard, Tuscan Pork Butchery demonstration. Learn about the essential cuts in Tuscan cooking. BBQ on courtyard braziers.
Sunday – Day 4
A later yoga class and/or morning hike through the vineyards and ancient olive groves and Brunch by the pool weather permitting. Wine Session “Common Wine Faults, Service and Storage”. Freetime in the afternoon to relax in the castle libraries, by the pool, or take a walk into nearby village of Seggiano.
Evening Pasta and Risotto Masterclas with Il Silene’s Roberto Rossi and Tuscany’s top Vernaccia from Tuscany’s most famous white wine producing region, San Gimignano.
Monday – Day 5
Morning Yoga class, Breakfast and transfer from Potentino to Pisa Airport.