Castello di Potentino
Wine Sense Wine WSET Level 2 Course With Emily O'Hare
Starts on: Thursday, October 11, 2018
Ends on: Friday, October 19, 2018
Event is fully booked
7-Day (8 night) residential Course, WSET level 2 course taught by Decanter's Emily O'Hare and, Food Workshop.This is a seven-day (eight-night) residential course held in a beautiful medieval Tuscan castle at Castello di Potentino during which you will study and take the WSET level 2 examination while enjoying all of what Tuscany has to offer. The course follows on from WSET level 1 (which is not essential).
Enjoy yoga classes by the pool amongst ancient olive groves looking over Monte Amiata – Tuscany’s Mount Olympus…and return home with a wine qualification – WSET Level 2.
The WSET course will be led by Decanter Italian wine writer and VIA Italian Wine Ambassador, Emily O’Hare - previously Head Sommelier and Wine Buyer at The River Café.
At level 1 it was all about the grape, now at level 2 place takes precedence. We look at where the principal grapes and other important varieties grow best in the world and what factors contribute to making those grapes grow so beautifully... and why those wines might have a higher price-tag. Wine labels will never be a problem again!
We also take an in-depth look at the methods used to make sparkling, sweet and fortified wines, and spirits.
Level 1 is not obligatory - a willingness to know more about wine (and to taste a lot of it) is all that is required of the level 2 student. Each class is very interactive-we taste at least 10 wines per day-the practical element is crucial. We will try Chablis, Chateauneuf du Pape, Barolo, Rioja and many more to understand what makes these wines great and whether they are to our personal liking-so that you will finish the course confident about what wines you like and why that is so. It will be quite a week!
We will also explore the local region- tasting olive oil, cheese, and visiting some of the most beautiful Tuscan hilltop towns in the process as well as exploring the area around the castle too.
In 2014 Emily left her position as Head Sommelier and Wine Buyer at London’s River Cafe to teach the WSET wine qualifications in Tuscany and to continue to write on Italian wine for “Decanter” magazine. Emily is now based in Siena organising wine tours and tastings and teaching the WSET wine certificates.
• Full board including all wines and lodging at the castle for eight nights
• Daily Morning yoga practice with yoga instructor and wine lover Eleanor Shannon
• Daily wine tastings and classes with Emily O’Hare
• All WSET Level 2 course material, exam paper and tasting of over 50 wines and spirits from around the world including Champagne, Bordeaux and Burgundy with an added emphasis on the wines of Italy.
• An interactive Cheesemaking masterclass with local shepherds and cheesemakers Lorenzo and Francesca from Caseificio Murceti, who use milk only from their own sheep.
• Olive oil tasting and lunch at La Chiarentana in the UNESCO World Heritage Val d’Orcia and a visit to the famous gardens at La Foce.
• Pasta and sourdough bread making at the castle with Lughan Carr- ex-chef at the River Café, Ballymalloe and the Dock Kitchen.
• A visit to a prestigious winery in Montepulciano with time to wander the streets of the old city and dinner in a local trattoria.
• A visit and wine tasting to a top Brunello estate, stopping off at the Romanesque Abbey of Sant’ Antimo.
• Dinner in the vegetable gardens at Roberto Rossi’s Michelin-starred Il Silene
• A traditional Merenda (picnic) at Moreno’s vineyard amongst the vines and olives- to see the Potentino valley from a different perspective and see how vines have been grown for millennia around the castle.
• Airport transfers from and to Rome Airport
Optional Italian classes (for all levels), Massages, personal fitness can be organized upon request for a supplement.
If you have any questions before booking do not hesitate to get in touch via email. Alexander will be available to help you with all your needs.