Scent and Scentabilty with Celia Lyttelton
Scent and Scentabilty with THE SCENT TRAIL author Celia Lyttelton. Explore your sense of smell and create your own perfumes whilst enjoying delicious aromatic food and wine tastings.
The four-day course at Castello di Potentino will be orchestrated by Celia Lyttelton; she is a scent critic and the author of THE SCENT TRAIL, How One Woman's quest for the Perfect Perfume Took Her Round the World. Published by Bantam and Penguin.
• Full board and lodging in the castle for four nights.
• Two sessions a day with Celia Lyttelton during which you will learn:
• The basic principles and about the equipment for perfume-making, getting acquainted with pipettes and blotters.
• The seven families of perfume
• How to unleash your own sense of smell
• How to determine your own perfume profile
• How to make a scent from aromatic bases
• How to build a pyramid of notes and familiarize yourself with the gamut of odours
• To explore and work around specific aromatic families and their raw materials
• To make and blend accords and devise formulas and compose a scent and much more.
• Wine tasting with the castle’s winemaker Charlotte Horton with a special emphasis on the articulation of taste and smell.
• Each student will have an olfactorium; a box of essential oils and blends from which to experiment and make their own bespoke scents.
Flights are not included. Transfers to and from the airports can be arranged and a meeting time will be provided once we know flight details.
Day 1 30th March 2018
Fly in to Pisa or Florence and transfer to Castello di Potentino
Day 2- Saturday 31st March 2018
A brief History of Perfume and Aromatics; followed by a practical session grasping the rudiments and equipment for perfume-making, learning how to use pipettes, blotters and putting a 'fan' of blotters together to make an accord.
Learning about the raw materials and the difference between essential oils, absolutes, gums and resins and composing a classic oriental perfume, an eau de cologne and a Chypre base; (the trial bottles will be evaluated the next day.)
Wine and olive oil tasting concentrating on aromatics and the articulation of taste followed by a light dinner.
Day 3- Sunday 1st April 2018
How a scent is composed of top, middle and base notes, building a pyramid of notes with which to make a scent using pyramid formula diagrams and mood moods.
Composing and blending accords with a 'perfumer's palette' of oils for your own bespoke scent with two or three trial bottles.
An aromatic, scent inspired dinner making use of local herbs and spices and if the weather permits foraged ingredients.
Day 4- Monday 2nd April
Having divined a scent, give it a name and further fine tune it. Gathering from the pastures and outlying vineyards scent bearing-plants and herbs to distil in an alembic and see how essential oils are produced.
In anticipation of visit to Santa Maria Novella and Lorenzo Villoresi; compose a scent from a Renaissance recipe using the essential oils distilled in the alembic as an aromatic base.
Dinner cooked by a local guest chef with local cheeses and cured meats.
Day 5- Tuesday 3rd April
To Florence: The Officina Santa Maria Novella and visit to the Studio of Lorenzo Villoresi.
Prices (per person)
Ensuite Double Room Single occupancy €2,250
Double Room with private external bathroom (Single Occupancy) €2,100
Ensuite Double (based on 2 people sharing) £1,950 per person
Double Room with private external bathroom (2 people Sharing) €1,900 per person
Twin Room with private external bathroom (Based on 2 people sharing) €1,50 per person
Triple Ensuite (Based on 3 people Sharing) £1,900 per person
Booking and Payment
To Book please email email@example.com or book via our website
25% Payment is due on booking with the rest due 14 days before the course. Payment can either be made via bank transfer or via credit card.
If you have any questions before you book, do not hesitate to email us firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on +390564950643.