Discover Italian Wine with Eleanor Shannon, founder of Uncorked in Italy
25% Deposit due at time of booking.
This four-day residential course will be held in a stunning, medieval castle, Castello di Potentino, on the slopes of an extinct volcano in the wildest part of Tuscany.
Learn what makes Italy unique in the world of wine, which wines and grape varieties define different areas, and why organic, biodynamic and “natural” wines* are the fast becoming the choice of new wine drinkers and connoisseurs alike.
The course begins with a brief overview of Italian wine fundamentals, then, delves into learning about the diverse terroir of Italy’s twenty regions with photos, videos and wine tastings*.
Leading the course will be Eleanor Shannon, who has lived primarily in Italy since 2004, is fluent in Italian, was certified as a sommelier at AIS Milan, and writes her own blog, UncorkedInItaly.com.
Meals from the Castle’s kitchen or with Michelin starred chef, Roberto Rossi, will be opportunities to enjoy local specialties and to practice pairing wine with food. Workshops will be offered in making risotto and pasta, making cheese, tasting olive oil, and the art of Tuscan pork butchery. There will be an offsite visit to a Brunello di Montalcino winery.
Enjoy optional yoga classes by the pool, morning walks in the ancient olive groves or relaxing with a glass of wine under the Loggia in the castle’s courtyard.
Visit the Castle’s vineyards and cellar as well as the Etruscan wine basins on the estate, used to make wine 2,500 years ago (Fall course will include foot pressing grapes in the basin).
*All wines for the course will be outstanding selections from wine made without industrial methods/chemicals so that the wine is truly characteristic of the terroir it comes from.
- Full board including wine, food and lodging at the castle for four nights
- Dinner by Michelin Starred Chef, Roberto Rossi of Il Silene
- Daily yoga practice with Ashtanga vinyasa teacher, Nadia Steward
- Daily course sessions and wine tastings (maximum of 15 participants)
- Custom course materials
- Tuscan Butchery demonstration with courtyard BBQ
- Cheese Making presentation
- Hands On Class in Pasta Making
- Visit to Brunello di Montalcino winery
- Airport transfers from and to Pisa Airport
DAY ONE: Thursday (May 11/Sept 14)
Welcome aperitivo, wine tasting and dinner with Charlotte Horton, Castello di Potentino’s owner and winemaker, who will guide you through the Castle’s award winning wines.
DAY TWO- Friday (May 12/Sept 15)
Breakfast and/or Yoga with Nadia Steward, who studied and qualified as an Ashtanga Vinyasa Teacher and Ayurvedic Massage Practitioner in Paris and South Africa
- Organic, Biodynamic and Natural versus “Conventional” Wine - An Embarrassment of Riches: The Italian Terroir Advantage
Lunch: Pecorino Cheese Making Demonstration and Tasting Session 2:
- Characteristics of Italian Wine
- Running the Gamut from Prosecco to Amarone and Beyond
- Fundamentals of Wine Tasting and Pairing Italian Wine with Food
Dinner: Making Risotto workshop and dinner prepared by Michelin starred chef: Roberto Rossi
DAY THREE- Saturday (May 13/Sept 16) Breakfast and/or Yoga with Nadia Steward
Session 3: Central Italy
- Umbria, Abruzzo, Le Marche, Sardegna
Visit and tasting at Brunello di Montalcino winery. Lunch- Castello di Potentino
Session 4: Southern Italy
- Campania, Calabria, Puglia, Basilicata, Lazio, Molise
Dinner: Tuscan Artisan Butcher Demonstration of Pork Cuts and BBQ
DAY FOUR- Sunday (May 14/Sept 17) Breakfast and/or Yoga with Nadia Steward
Session 5: Northwestern Italy
- Emilia Romagna, Lombardia, Liguria, Val D’Aosta,
Lunch: Pasta Making Workshop
Session 6: Northeastern Italy
- Trentino Alto Adige, Friuli Venezia Giulia
Walk 15 minutes to see Etruscan Wine Basin or foot press grapes Closing Dinner at Castello Di Potentino
DAY FIVE- Monday (May 15/Sept 18)
Yoga and Breakfast Airport Transfer